Skip to main content

"Social" social media - ramblings

Today I got a blasting on Twitter - and rightly so. I corrected someone's tweet with a workable link with the best of intentions but I realise it came across as patronising and inappropriate - especially as the tweeter was in the midst of a debate with someone who was trolling them. I apologised, deleted the tweet and was on my way, learning a valuable lesson that social media is not to be dealt with flippantly, people's thoughts and feelings are on the line.

Social media brings out the best of us and worst of us at times. It reveals what we want it to reveal - and what we we don't - whether we like it or not.

It brings a feeling of false familiarity which to a non-social media user can seem almost perverse and surprising - and so it should, a person who has decided to share some facets of their life doesn't make the reader of it their friend. And that is where the said reader needs to understand that.

Indeed over time, allyships and friendships may be formed - but where do we learn that? How do we know that? Who out of both parties has the right to declare it a friendship? Sometimes it may feel like a club, a clique, a high-school-like society - but who sets the membership criteria?

YouTubers, singers, actors, famous-for-famous-sake celebrities may call their "fans" their "friends" but there needs to be a clear distinction - a lot of the time these people would not invite you or I for a drink or bite to eat if they saw us in the street. Some people have made social media their business/livelihood and the illusion of friendship their key commodity, time will tell how that pans out.

In the UK (and US I think) today two celebrities Stephen Fry and Kanye West have been lambasted and defended in equal measures for their rants, exits and thoughts on social media. One has decided to drop themselves out. To some, social media can be a pain. It has, some people argue (including Stephen Fry) become more of a battleground than a sanctuary for expressing thoughts and feelings on personal issues or observations on societal traits. For others it has become a way of emboldening and empowering in the midst of discovery and kinship.

I still think social media can bring out the best in us, I've come across beautiful artwork, blogs with words that dance on the page leaving you feeling giddy with excitement that this is the era in which you're alive - and places where people have had the courage to share with you their pains and problems, somehow leaving you with a sense of togetherness that your problem can be shared too.

Social media is evolving - and the definition of social continues to be blurred. Whether it's done with reckless abandon or careful self-examination, in the end, we all seek that sense of understanding - and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art: Joe Simpson: Your New Best Friend…

… well, that's according to his Twitter bio, anyway. Ebunola Adenipekun talked to the 26-year-old portrait artist who’s managed to merge his (and many others') two loves: music and art Joe doin' what he does best - paintin' masterpieces How much art do you do in a day? Today, for example. Are you an night owl, early lark… or both? I try and keep normal-ish working hours – generally I go into my studio about 9am to 6pm on weekdays and have weekends off. I do this so that I’m in line with other people and it’s easier to make social arrangements. I spend a long time on my own in my studio so I need to interact with people in the evenings to stay sane! Sometimes, when I want to accelerate progress I’ll do long stints and stay late (and become less sane), I very rarely do anything before 9am though.  Joe at Brighton There’s always been that cliché of artists starving for their craft. Have you always worked as an artist and/or had other jobs in addition

Art: Interview with Artist Alice White

BOOM! spoke to the 28-year-old artist who resides in London town. Hi Alice!  BOOM! loves your pics – how much drawing, sketching and painting do you do in a 24-hour period? What’s a typical week like? Sketching is an integral part of the painting process. I spend on average seven to eight hours in the studio per day. At least two hours of that time will be spent sketching, in the conception, duration and completion of a painted canvas. My particular use of the sketching process is to produce rapid outlines as well as fully finished, detailed drawings which not only mark out the contours of the face and figure, but also serve as a process of analysis, to trace and capture what is revealed by my subject matter. When preparing for a new piece, I will spend whole days sketching in preparation. When painting, I lose track of time, and cannot be trusted to maintain a conversation or remember its contents for several hours afterwards! 'George, Fred and Harry'

Money: What life do you want?

Hi, I hope your 2022 has been better than 2021 so far. For the last few months I've been going down the Financial Independence Retire Early (FIRE) rabbit hole . Money for the most part is about options. If you have the opportunity to it's worth finding out what you can. I hope in time schools will provide financial education which will compound in time. Some podcasts I've been listening to are: Ramit Sethi "I Will Teach You to Be Rich" Meaningful Money YouTube channels: FinanceDee TheHumblePenny MamaFurFur Have you been learning more around money? What are your favourite podcasts or YouTube channels?